Process Summary Description
1) Copied GISCartography.zip from the R drive and unzipped to my computer, opened ArcCatalog, directed to GISCartography folder, right clicked on mex_elev and chose properties, found the answer to Q1, selected fields tab, found the answer to Q2
2) Opened Arcmap, Selected World_Countries, Mex_boundary, Americas_Admin shapefiles and dragged them into ArcMap, moved Mex_boundary to the top layer
3) Chose Select by attributes for an SQL query, chose CNTRY_NAME, clicked =, clicked Get Unique Values, chose Mexico from the list, clicked Verify and all was good, clicked Apply and then OK, answered Q3 found in the information tool bar at bottom left.
4) Created a new layer by right clicking on Data under the Americas_Admin and chose Export Data, navigated the output folder to my Arc folder and named it Mex_states, clicked ok and Yes
5) Label features under the World_Countries properties menu, chose labels and checked the box next to Label features in this layer, left the rest set to default and hit apply
6) Went to properties for World_countries, found where fill color was in Symbol then Edit symbol then Advanced Text tab, clicked the box for Text Fill Pattern, chose properties, chose a fill color, changed the Outline Width to 2 and chose an outline color, clicked ok until the apply button, then OK to close properties
7) Added a legend and manually changed the values for Mex_states layer for POP_ADMIN values, choose a border of 1.0 for the legend.
8) Added North arrow, added Title, added my name, added a Scale, added a text scale.
9) Arranged everything to fit and adjusted colors
10) Export to my folder location as GISCarto_map1.jpg, adjusted the DPI to 200,
11) Added layers mex_rails, mex_rivers, mex_roads, and mex_urban and turned off Mex_states, organized layers
12) Went properties of mex_rivers, under Symbology tab chose Categories and Unique Values, chose RANK in the Value Field, clicked Add values and added Primary and Major, unchecked the box next to All other values, changed the symbol properties of each value. Preformed the same procedure for roads using Federal in the Authority field.
13) Displayed the predefined Railroad symbol in the mex_rails layer
14) Chose a color for Urban areas
15) Under the Labels Properties checked the box for label features and picked Classes of features and labeled each class differently as the Method, clicked Add bottom and input Million, selected the Class drop down, clicked the SQL Query box and entered POPULATION>1000000, selected the default from the Class drop down and unchecked Label features in this class,
16) Switched to Layout View, typed 5000000 in the scale and hit enter
17) Converted labels to annotations under the mex_urban layer, select In the Map, clicked Convert, chose text and adjusted its symbols
18) Created and insert map, added a legend and adjusted the values of the legend, added scale, added text scale, added my name, and adjusted all to fit properly, adjust colors and borders
19) Exported to my folder as GISCarto_map2.jpg as a 200 DPI image
20) Started with a fresh blank page and added World_countires and mex_elev raster by clicking and dragging from ArcCatalog
21) Looked at the difference between the Classified and Stretched scheme figuring out the answer to Q4
22) I made a 3rd map using colors of earth tone values, I created this map using all the previous steps from the processes above
23) Exported the map as GISCarto_map3.jpg and used a 200 dpi image.