1) Adding non-spatial data to the map will automatically switch the Toc to View by Source.
2) View by Selection in the ToC will allow Selectable, Not Selectable and Selected layers with a value on the far right for total features selected.
3) Create a new group layer by crtl+clicking layers wanted, then right+click to Group. Right click layers again for Un-group.
4) Add graphs from the View menu>Graphs>Create Graph. Refer to LooseEndsLab_part1_2012.pdf for instructions on graphing.
5) Dynamic text, good tool for automatic text features but must input proper code line, via text space by right clicking Properties for the text on the map.
6) “It’s better to have no information than wrong information”!
7) Never use the Object ID or Feature ID fields for anything , especially never use them for joins or relates.
8) To save a Layer Package, that layer must have text in the Description area of its Properties.
9) Right click anywhere in the map layout and you can chose “page and print setup” in order to change print size and layout.
10) Save these PDF files (LooseEndsLab_Part1_2012 and LooseEndsLab_Part2_2012) for future use as they have a lot of good info.